Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Can Channel Martha AND The Three Stooges Simultaneously

We love waffles around here. And for Mommy's benefit, they're relatively low-fat and you can add some yummy fruit to them.

I love waffles, mostly when someone else makes them!

But I am positively allergic to mornings and I do NOT cook before noon, so if my kids want something hot, it's frozen waffles popped in the toaster. If I'm feeling REALLY earth-motherly and have had a cup of coffee, I'll boil some water for instant oatmeal (but that's pushing it).

So I think I want a waffle iron. I want to start making my own waffles and stop supporting Eggo frozen waffles. I'd rather just make a batch of my own to freeze. This way I could make them ahead of time and have my OWN frozen waffles. Hell I could even make them all healthy and stuff and add flaxseed and wheat germ and other things that I'm sure would taste disgusting not covered in syrupy goodness.

Did I just say that??? Has Martha Stewart taken over my brain? I told that woman to knock it off. Every time she tries I end up buying expensive gadgets and/or craft supplies that gather dust or get eaten by the dog. Sparkly dog poop decorating the yard just isn't the festive touch Martha had in mind.

Anyway, Martha Stewart Exorcism notwithstanding I still persist in looking at them. However as usual when I research ANY product, I start looking on Amazon, see all the negative (and positive) reviews on all of them and get paralyzed by indecision.

My Dad has a nice one and he makes very good waffles (before you get impressed with the idea of my Dad as Gourmet Chef, I must disclose that waffles is pretty much the extent of his culinary repertoire. Oh, and he can heat up a mean bowl of soup in the microwave.), but it's a round waffle iron.

I don't have one of them there fancy-schmancy toaster ovens, just a standard top loader toaster. I think I need a square waffle iron despite Martha's probable disapproval. Round peg, square hole and all that.

I was looking at this one, but it's EXPENSIVE. However, if it makes good waffles and 6 at a time it might be worth it. As usual, some people love it, some people hate it.

So, what do you love about yours? Hate about yours? Would you buy it again? Oh and of course what kind is it?

Because I still just can't decide on a waffle iron. I'm........................
.
.
.
.
wait for it............
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
WAFFLING

about it.

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

I'm such a comedian.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I just have some random waffle maker we got for a wedding present. It does make round waffles, but it divides them into quadrants which could easily fit into the toaster. So maybe a round one could be an option after all?

I actually made a batch of pancakes the other day and froze those so I could reheat them for the babies and Liam. Worked great!!!

Mylou said...

I would love to make 6 waffles at a time!

Eileen, Founder, Organizer, Mayor and Chief Cook And Bottle Washer of the Anger Management Girls. said...

Do your self a favor, go to your neighborhood garage sale and buy one for a dollar. That way, when this Martha episode passes (and it will) you aren't out a bunch of money for something you will only use about 5 times.
I see them all the time at garage sales. Apparently being sold by people with the same idea as you.(for about a week)

Anonymous said...

MB.. We bought a new toaster at Sears.. put the frozen waffles in... push the defrost button and the toast button and you can't believe they aren't home made waffles...also... 2 waffles, ice cream in the middle (like a sandwich) and powder sugar on top...UMMMM, can't be beat..
Love You :)

michelle lynn said...

I don't have one .. yet .. as I just read some very disturbing things exactly about Eggo waffles (ok fine, there were other prepared frozen foods mentioned, too) but bottom line, the preservatives in there will kill you - like anything else, I know. But I just keep asking myself if there are direct links to certain ingredients and cancer, why are the Eggo people still allowed to use them. Oh, because we still buy them. Or did, hopefully. Good luck, I like the garage sale idea! Let me know what you come up with.

~brianna~ said...

I LOVE your blog post, MB!!! I find I definitely share the Martha Stoogwart mindset... hahaha