Monday, January 21, 2008

Deceptively Delicious Spawns Suspicious Sibling

I recently purchased the books Deceptively Delicious and The Sneaky Chef. I had resisted buying these books mostly because there was a lot of hoopla about them and I'm perverse that way. If it's popular I don't want it.

But after watching my children exist on the snacks that occurred between meals and consistently refusing any meal that didn't involve pizza, mac & cheese or hot dogs, I was desperate.

The premise behind these two books is similar. You surreptitiously include healthy fruits and vegetables like sweet potatoes and beets that would normally induce gagging and retching at the table by pureeing them (which induces me to gag and retch) and mixing them into the recipe.

To be fair, I haven't actually tried any of the recipes yet. But after reading them I remain skeptical. Besides after enduring a childhood where I was forced to eat lima beans it just feels like it should be my God-given right as a parent to inflict the same upon my children.

What I forgot though was to hide the cookbooks.

Yes, hide the cookbooks. One normally expects to hide the Playboy magazines or the racy novels, but the cookbooks?

I forgot the 6 year old can read now. And just today she informed me, "Mama I saw those recipes and they tell you to put SPINACH in them!"

Oh the horror.

But even worse, before I've even actually attempted to pull the wool over their eyes and slip cauliflower, spinach, or butternut squash into their pancakes, she has begun to question every single thing I have cooked.

"Is there spinach in that? What about that? Is there any in there? I don't like spinach you know."

No honey, I assure you there is no spinach in the frozen pizza or the macaroni & cheese from a box. Didn't even put any in the hot dogs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my... i will definitely be hiding the cookbook. you should try the brownies from Sneaky Chef. just don't let sabrina see you baking them!!
kate

Anonymous said...

My Mum was one for hiding worming tablet's in milkshake's while my brother and I were in the bath...is that in the book???

No seriously, this was Oprah YESTERDAY and that Dr. OZ said that the book is great for nutritional value in food but you must ALSO force them to try the real stuff! So you get the best of both worlds.

Dani said...

Both my kids eat vegetables, although I know Cassidy has plenty of time to get stubborn about it.

My best friend has a 12 year old (my godson) who is EXTREMELY picky (of course I tell her it's her curse cause she's always asking, what's in that?). But she bought the Seinfeld book to get some veggies in her son. Some of the recipes the taste is hidden enough, others not so much.

Good luck on your veggie mission!